Monday, August 05, 2013

EVERYBODY HAS A PLACE

This is a statement of fact. It has stayed on my mind, plagued me, haunted my dreams and my waking hours in recent times. It crossed my mind for the first time when a man was alienated with words because he boldly said he had no twitter account at a social media gathering. You could say he deserved it, it was after all 'a social media event' but did he really?
Everyday, people are judged by the standards we set for them; we write them off based on expectations we have of them that they fall short on, we label them because they don't share our beliefs and values. I am as guilty of this as the next person reading this and i often relieve my conscience by telling myself 'i can't help it, i can't help but judge people' but the truth is that i can help it and so can you. Can it be enough that someone is human? Can we accept them for who they are without judging them? I'm probably in my dreamy, ever hopeful state but i believe if we would treat others better, it could be another step towards the great Nigeria we all desire.
I believe nobody deserves to be judged because we all don't want to be, we want to be understood, loved and accepted just the way we are.











'You are unique and different and you definitely have a place in this world but so does everybody else'. 


The impact of this topic got me to embark on a short project. I have commissioned some of my friends to join me in writing on this topic 'everybody has a place' and i will be publishing their works here over the next couple of days. So, keep your fingers crossed and enjoy the different perspectives. Remember to drop your comments :)




5 comments:

  1. Hmm... As awkward as not having a Twitter account may have sounded, I guess we assume we all put our heads in one huge bucket and think same way.
    Err... don't think I did forget to drop comment for a mo. The issue would have been if I had any comment. *smile+wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doc. You are far too kind. Are you like a fan now?(picks race)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well its true that we should not judge, I'm not on twitter too and I'm not really intrigued by it.Nice one

    ReplyDelete